Grimes Dentistry‘s Advanced Technology
Grimes Dentistry utilizes intraoral camera technology that helps enhance your understanding of your diagnosis. An intraoral camera is a very small camera, just a few millimeters wide.
Dr. Grimes and Dr. Mathur have pioneered the use of intraoral dental cameras. Grimes Dentistry searched the entire digital dental camera market and chose the Sopro Life, the clearest, most versatile digital dental camera available. This is the only intraoral camera with UV cavity detection technology. We were so impressed we put one in every treatment room!
Our intraoral cameras allow us to view clear, precise images of your mouth, teeth and gums, helping to more accurately make a diagnosis. We magnify the images, revealing serious, but hard to see, cracks in your teeth. With defined, enlarged images, we see details that may be missed by standard mirror examinations. This can mean a more accurate diagnosis and more complete resolution of your discomfort.
Grimes Dentistry‘s Sopro Life cameras also enable us to save your images in our office computer to provide a permanent record of treatment. It is often helpful to refer back to pre-treatment images. These photos can be printed for you, emailed to other specialists, our lab, or your insurance company to help with your claim. Drs. Grimes and Mathur feel that intraoral photography is one of the most useful dental technologies available. It improves the way we help patients.
Laser dentistry is one of Grimes Dentistry’s latest advances. Our diode laser delivers energy in the form of light. Depending on the intended result, this energy travels at specified wavelengths and is absorbed by a “target.” Each target absorbs a different wavelength of light while reflecting others. Our dental laser is used for soft tissue surgeries of the mouth. Laser dentistry has no heat or vibration, making the procedure quite comfortable for most patients. For soft tissue (surgical) procedures, suturing is eliminated and healing is much faster, usually with no need for post-treatment pain medication. Blood vessels are instantly cauterized during the procedure, resulting in no bleeding.
Laser technology from Grimes Dentistry is beneficial in these circumstances:
- Periodontal, or gum related, care
- Apthous ulcer treatment (canker sore)
- Frenectomy (tongue-tie release) without sutures
- Crown lengthening, gingivectomy, and other gum corrections
- Improving conditions with impressions for porcelain crowns and veneers
Grimes Dentistry dental lasers are safe and effective for treating both children and adults.
Air Abrasion (Drill-less Fillings)
Drs. Grimes and Mathur utilize air abrasion for most fillings and cosmetic bonding procedures.
Air abrasion is a drill-less technique we use to remove tooth decay and stains.
Drs. Grimes and Mathur use an instrument that works like a mini sandblaster, which sprays away decay. During air abrasion, a fine stream of particles is aimed at the decayed portion of the tooth. These particles are made of silica and are propelled toward the tooth surface by compressed air. Decay In the tooth surface is removed as the stream of particles strikes the tooth. The particles of decay are then “suctioned” away.
Grimes Dentistry‘s air abrasion is safe. The only precautions needed before air abrasion are protective eye wear. The suctioning of particles also prevents them from being breathed into the lungs.
Compared with the traditional drilling method, the advantages of air abrasion are many and include the following:
- Air abrasion generates no heat, sound, pressure, or vibration.
- Air abrasion reduces the need for anesthesia, particularly if the cavity is shallow.
- Air abrasion leaves much more of the healthy tooth tissue behind.
- Air abrasion leaves the working area relatively dry, which is an advantage during the placement of composite fillings.
- Air abrasion reduces the risk of fracturing and chipping of the tooth, which some dentists believe can affect the life span of the filling.
- Air abrasion allows the dentist to treat multiple sites during a single visit.
- The procedure is relatively simple and quick.